Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Just some ramblings about natural cosmetics

I can't believe that Christmas is just over 2 weeks away. Where did the time go?

I got an e-mail today encouraging blog posts everyday until 2011. Seems like a lofty goal, but I am up for the challenge! I can't promise that every post will be fascinating, but I will give it my best!!

I have recently discovered that I can't wear the make-up you buy in the store and THEN I figured out that hairspray was also causing me problems. The last couple of weeks have been somewhat overwhelming, but I went to work! I bought mineral make up (loving it) but the price ACK! I am washing my hair in apple cider vinegar, so if you see me on the street and my hair looks a wreck that's why! They say it takes a couple weeks for your hair to adjust not being dried out by all the stuff in shampoo (we will see).

I have been lamenting over the cost of the mineral make-up, thinking there has to be a more economical way to wear make up when I came across a book in the book store on making your cosmetics (Yeah it is on my Christmas list). I was amazed at what I found!! Everything from eyeshadow to foundation to zit zapper and aftershave!! WOW!! I had my 11 year old hold the book while I scribbled down the websites listed in the back of the book for getting supplies!! There was one website in particular that I really like www.tkbtrading.com . TKB has kits for making your own foundations, blushes and eye shadows as well as supplies for mascara, eyeliner, and lipstick. (Guess what my teenage girls are getting for Christmas!)
I sure hope Santa brings me that book (but if he doesn't I will order it Christmas day)!

So I have solved the make up cost problem! Hairspray, really? How can that possibly be? With a little research I found homemade hairspray recipes. I haven't tried it yet, but I did make some last night. It couldn't be simpler 2 cups water and a lemon peeled and chopped up boil until have the water is gone. Cool and put into a spray bottle. I will let you know how it works!

I am excited about making cosmetics. I already make all our bath soaps, laundry soaps, lotions and skin ointment so cosmetics just kinda naturally falls next in line! I promise there will be updates as I figure this stuff out. In the meantime check out this other site I found--plenty of good stuff here to make you think www.pioneerthinking.com this is where I found the homemade hairspray recipe and some other stuff I am trying!!
Post a Comment