Friday, December 24, 2010

Christmas Eve 2010

Well this is it! I am trying to stay out of the kitchen because I have a nasty head cold and I don't want to contaminate any of the goodies!! I was sooo geared up to make candies and goodies this year and now I am having to let my teenagers do it all.

Last night I sat down and brain stormed some dinner ideas to go along with the $1 a day grocery challenge. I really think this is doable. Now I have to admit that I am spending a $1 a day per person on groceries and then I will spend more on storage items to stock my pantry something that has gone undone for the last 6 years after we depleted alot of our storage preparing for a job loss or move (thankfully it was a move).

I found an awesome PDF file today on how to survive during an emergency. The title is "The time to Build the Cellar is Before the Storm" you can download it here http://www.justpeace.org/allinone.pdf .
There is even a list of basic food items for a 30 day supply for a family of 4. A great place to start your food storage!!

I am determined to do a garden this year!! I am looking into combining two methods of gardening; Squarefoot and Lasagna Gardening. I am optimistic that I will have a beautiful garden this year!! (I hope!)

Some thoughts that I have had on the $1 a day challenge are:

1. Lots of casseroles with meat spread thin throughout
2. Hitting the yesterday grind sales at our local grocery store to get meat cheap.
3. Making sure I get the paper on Wed. We only have 2 grocery stores and a Walmart in our town so the sales are going to be very important to making this happen.
4. Keeping things basic. The K.I.S.S. rule applies!!

If you haven't already noticed, there is a link in the side bar to join the $1 a day grocery challenge. If you are interested please join us. There are about 17 families nationwide now participating!! The more the merrier!!

No comments: